Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Make Up: The Breakdown

Many years ago (some point in 2007, I believe) I was part of my school newspaper, fittingly named The Eye of the Tiger. This was a fitting title because a) our school's basketball team was the Tigers, and b) it wasn't particularly witty or funny.

From what I can recall in regards to my role in that publication, I was the Editor of the Entertainment section, I think. This may seem like a tall order, but in reality I really only drew the comic, and wrote a little section I liked to call "Guy vs. Girl." [I say that I liked to call it that, because for some reason others on the staff liked to call it "Girl vs. Guy" which really doesn't have the same ring to it at all.]

In this section of the newspaper I would write in opposition to a girl I used to be close friends with, and we would go back and forth on certain topics. If I recall correctly, our very first edition of "Guy vs. Girl" was on the issue of makeup.

I'm pleased to say that I felt the argument won before it had even begun. My stance of makeup not being all that necessary was one shared by my opponent, and that, compounded with a solid ending sentence, cemented my victory. The seven words I chose to conclude my half-page combined to form the memorable phrase: "What's wrong with showing a little face?"

All of this began streaming back to me earlier today when I saw a girl who clearly wasn't wearing any makeup. Suddenly all of the conflicting arguments I had towards the cause I was defending were back in my head, and I began a mental battle with myself.

Why shouldn't I think this girl was looking her best? Because she really wasn't, or because I'm so accustomed to her wearing makeup. Is her wearing makeup caused by people like me who expect more, or because she lacks self-confidence, or both? Why isn't she wearing it now, if she usually does, is she just tired, does she not care anymore? If girls never wore makeup at all, would I think that a girl who suddenly started wearing makeup look better? Wouldn't that simply be more a matter of something new or novel, and not her appearance actually being improved?

Too many questions were running through my head, and I can't say that I've answered any of them. Half the time I don't think I even realize that girls wear makeup anymore, and I'm not even sure how I feel about that. At the end of it all, should I even be concerning myself with the appearances of girls around me, should I be thinking about it this much? I'm really not sure.

3 comments:

  1. The title of this blog post is taken from Canadian alternative band Hot Hot Heat's album, Make Up the Breakdown.

    I actually quite like that band, but have yet to buy any of their albums. I should probably get on that the next time I am in Toronto.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At this point I'm still firmly in the place where the concept of make-up itself is repulsive to me. I really do find women less attractive when they're wearing make up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this. It is interesting. I like uncertainty. I like your latter sentiments as opposed to your former (guy vs. girl) sentiments, too.

    ReplyDelete

Write stuff down there if you have something to say.