Thursday, June 10, 2010

The Introduction

You are reading this.

You are reading this and that is, to put it frankly, sort of amazing. It's amazing because it means that for a few short moments, or however long it takes you to skim this, my thoughts are in your head.

End of thought. I don't really have anything more to say about that. What's a little more pressing at the moment is that this is a blog, and that this is that blog's first post and I need to say what I need to say to set-up some sort of structure; to be more clear, to lay out what exactly this is for.

Blogging is, as far as I'm concerned, all about ego.

If you're not blogging news, or advice, or recipes, or some form of knowledge that's generally useful - if you're blogging only your own thoughts - that says something about you. What kind of person just throws their own personal opinions and mental working out there on the internet, the most public forum out there, and expects anyone to read it?

It's not like people are going to buy the excuse that the person doesn't care if anyone looks at it. If they didn't want it to be read they would have scrawled their thoughts into a little leather bound journal with a tiny lock on it, hidden the itty bitty key on its threadlike fake silver chain, and stuffed it under their mattress, or beneath their socks.

All writers know that when people read what they've written, and enjoy it, it is the best feeling in the world.

Am I a writer?

That's really what I think this all comes down to. Sure, I love it when people read my stories and tell me they like them, or when I get back an essay I worked hard on and it has anything upwards of an A- on it. Who doesn't? The fact of the matter is, though, that I don't write.

Well, I do occasionally, but not near often enough. I have a head that is full of thoughts and I spend so much time in it that very little of it gets out there. I feel like one of those pressure cookers they use on Iron Chef America, thousands of pounds of pressure all compressed into a very small space.

This blog is, to put it shortly, a way of letting that pressure out. It's going to be my thoughts and my opinions and it's going to be very honest (or, as I like to put it, straight-up). I want it to be able to be read by anyone, whether I know them or not. I don't want it to be dismal, dark, or dreary, if it's going to be alliteratively descriptive at all I want it to be interesting, intriguing, and inviting.

So it's going to be updated every week, Monday and Thursday, until forever. I don't have any reason to stop, so there's no solid finish line out there.

That's all I have to say for now, but I really, sincerely, honestly hope that if you do come glancing around this side of the internet, you'll flip through a few posts and won't regret that you did. Maybe you'll even enjoy it a little.

1 comment:

  1. I'm also always going to give credit where credit is due. The title of this blog, "These are Words," is a play off of comedian Demetri Martin's set "These are Jokes."

    I'm also always going to have the first comment on every post.

    ReplyDelete

Write stuff down there if you have something to say.